Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Caramel apple deliciousness...

I love to bake. Cooking, not so much really. But if it involves sugar, sign me up for making it. Cookies, cakes, brownies, muffins, pies - you name it.

So for Christmas at my in-laws this year, I offered to make a pie for dessert. The unanimous request was for a caramel apple pie like I had made last Easter. Well, between the long drive back in a snowstorm, getting stuck in the snow when we stopped at our house to pick up the gifts, and a few other random things happening, I didn't have time to make the pie on Christmas. Or the three days after that when while we were all snowed in together. Turns out we were way too busy playing games, watching movies and napping.

This past Saturday we all got together for, you guessed it, another game night. And we decided it was about time we had a pie.

Enter a delicious caramel apple pie [and the actual point of this post]...


Okay, so this isn't the actual pie we made. We ate our whole pie before anyone could even say the word picture, so this picture is a random caramel apple pie picture from here. It is the same type of pie though...and has a lattice crust...and was made with Pillsbury pie crusts...and makes me very hungry just like the one we made.

Back to the point [sorry, I get really side-tracked when I talk about pie], the pie is incredibly easy to make. Here's the quick and easy, pretty much made up as I went, recipe:
  1. Peel and cut apples until it looks like enough to fill a pie pan.
  2. Mix the apples with two heaping tablespoons of brown sugar and two heaping tablespoons of Bisquick.
  3. Add cinnamon and nutmeg to the apples until they are all sorts of yummy.
  4. Put one Pillsbury pie crust in the bottom of the pie pan.
  5. Squiggle caramel syrup all over the bottom crust.
  6. Add a layer of apples and squiggle more caramel syrup all over.
  7. Add the rest of the apples and, of course, squiggle more caramel syrup all over.
  8. Put on the top crust. [I always do a lattice top because they make me look fancy...but really I learned how to make them in cooking class when I was a sophomore in high school and never really learned how to make any other type of top crust.]
  9. Bake the pie at 350 degrees for about 40-50 minutes.
  10. Enjoy some deliciousness.
The first time I made this pie my mom and I actually used caramel squares. So, we unwrapped about a bazillion of them, cut them in half and then melted them to add them to the pie. Umm...yeah, using caramel syrup was wayyyy easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment